This is the easiest Strawberry Jam ever!
No Canner necessary
* 2 pounds fresh strawberries, hulled (green tops cut off) = 4 cups mashed
* 4 cups sugar
* 1/4 cup lemon juice
(see notes at end)
Combine 4 cups mashed berries, sugar and lemon juice in a large, heavy bottomed saucepan. Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved.
Increase heat to high and bring to a full, rolling boil. Boil, stirring often until mixture reaches 220 degrees F. (105 degrees C.) (10-20 minutes)
To test for jelling:
Place a plate in the freezer. After 10 minutes of boiling put a tsp of the jelly liquid on the cold plate. Put back in freezer for a minute. Run your finger through the jelly. If it does not run back together and you can make a line through it - it's done.
Ladle into hot, sterile jars leaving 1/4 - 1/2 inch headspace.
Wipe jar lids with a clean cloth to ensure sealing.
Process in hot water bath for 15 minutes
Turn upside down for 10 minutes to seal!
* 4 cups of sugar was a little too sweet. I'd use 2-3 cups next time.
* I'd never inverted jars to seal before. I started using a canner, but the house was too hot (we were still spinning honey and hadn't turned on AC yet) so I tried this method - LOVE IT!
* Initially the jam will be like syrup - it takes up to 48 hours to "set"
* Makes GREAT gifts! Think end of school gifts for teachers, and the holidays will be here before you know it!